SAN JUAN MIDSUMMER´S NIGHT
The Festival of San Juan is celebrated annually on the 23rd of June, the shortest night of the year.
Legends, tradition and magical rituals are connected by common elements:
fire and water
It is a night full of Superstition. If you want to be lucky for the next 12 months you may want to:
- Jump over a bonfire. According to the traditions of the festival, if people jump three times over a bonfire on San Juan’s night, they will be cleansed and purified, and their problems burned away.
- Swim in the ocean after midnight. It´s less dangerous and has the same cleansing and purifying result as jumping over the fire.
- Prepare perfumed water, which combines the scents of seven plants – including rosemary, roses and laurel. Bathing or washing in this water is another method of purification for the new season.
- Burn a piece of paper with your lovers name on it.
- Burn something old and personal to leave behind bad spirits from the past and start a new phase.
- Fountains and natural water resources become magic and have healing properties.
San Juan’s night is full of bonfires, fireworks, music, dancing, sardines and bread.
Other countries such as Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Perú, Bolívia and Cuba celebrate this date influenced by Spaniards, Portuguese and other European immigrants.
Sky-tours wishes you a happy San Juan´s night 🙂